Looking for how to switch characters in GTA V then you are right place? Rockstar Games’ Grand Theft Auto V introduced into the open-world game design an engaging feature where players can switch between three main protagonists- Michael, Franklin, and Trevor. This is the first game in the GTA franchise to allow this feature. All three characters have distinct personalities and switching between them is essential for the gameplay.
Although fans were worried about the game-play being too confusing with this feature, the switch controls are pretty simple and seamless. It doesn’t interfere with the experience of the open-world heist that GTA specializes in.
- 1 Why Switch Between Characters?
- 2 How to Switch Characters in GTA V?
- 3 What Happens When You Switch Characters?
- 4 Features of the Switch control
- 5 Final Take
Why Switch Between Characters?
Being able to switch characters in GTA V is an important aspect of completing missions and going ahead with the game. The purpose of switching characters is to have a more enjoyable gaming experience through the lives of three different characters. In some cases, the game will not allow you to complete certain tasks unless you switch to the specified character.
Since the players will be taking part in joint quests, it is important to know each character’s skill sets in order to switch more efficiently- for example, some characters are good with the helicopter while others might be an expert in rifle shooting. Some missions even request you to have an additional character along with you.
How to Switch Characters in GTA V?
Switching between characters in GTA 5 is extremely easy, and the game does a great job of explaining the mechanic by embedding them into story missions rather than a tutorial.
The players jumping back into GTA 5 may have lost one or two steps and forgotten the GTA 5 controls and numerous gameplay mechanics. Here are steps to follow on PS4/Xbox One and PC.
1. On PS4/Xbox One/ Controller
- Press the Down Button on the D-Pad to open the character-wheel on the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Use the Right Analog-stick to choose between the characters.
- Release the Down button when you pick the desired character.
2. On PC
- Hold the Left Alt button to open the character-wheel.
- Use the Arrow keys on the keyboard to choose the character. You can also use the mouse.
- Release the Alt key when you select the desired character.
3. Shortcuts for Switching Characters
- T- Character selector
- F5- Switch to Michael
- F6- Switch to Franklin
- F7- Switch to Trevor
- F8- Switch to GTA Online
While you are picking your desired character, the game-play is paused and once you pick a character the transition animation starts. On the character-wheel, the features of each character are specified.
4. Remapping Keyboard Controls
If the default keyboard controls aren’t working players can always remap. All you have to do is go to the settings and play around with the controls. According to the player’s convenience, you can bind any action to different keys. If the L-Alt button isn’t working out, simply remap it to the Kor L button instead of on your PC.
What Happens When You Switch Characters?
Since players are busy in their respective lives off-mission, players will find that switching will change their location to wherever the character was spending their time. You’ll find yourself in their home or any other place known to the character.
Since each character has distinct skills and resources, players will also be able to view a change in the gaming experience with the switch.
Features of the Switch control
- While playing in Story Mode, players will sometimes find character slots flashing white or red:
- When the slot flashes white, the game is prompting the player to switch to a different character. This is important for the progress of the game. Sometimes this can also mean that the other characters are available to play at the moment.
- When it flashes red, the game is informing you that a character is in danger and the player is required to help them. Each time such alerts show up, the players can hear a buzzing sound.
- During the prologue you can switch between only Trevor and Michael, Franklin is not available at the events.
- Each character is allocated a color. When a character is unavailable, they are marked with a pale icon color.
- When a character dies, the character wheel changes, and the dead hero will disappear from the sector.
- Another interesting feature is how players can choose to switch to Franklin’s dog, named Chop. He appears as the hero twice in the “Chop” and “Predator” tasks.
Through these seamless controls, players can be a part of the chaotic open world that GTA V has to offer. Once you know how to switch between characters the gaming experience will be easier and more enjoyable.