Are you in the mood of playing your favorite game on the PS3 console today? But what if you got stuck on some issues. Yes, it happens that sometimes we face many issues with such popular consoles. Today, we are going to tell you about the solutions for fixing the PS3 flashing red light issue.
The good news is that your PS3 is absolutely fine and in proper functioning condition. This problem may have shown up due to multiple reasons unknown to you. The below-mentioned reasons will help you to clear out the issue and then you can again enjoy your gaming on the PS3 console.
Reasons For PS3 Flashing Red Light
Sony PlayStation 3 is a well-known name among the enthusiastic gamers’ community. The company has sold millions of consoles around the globe. It is very reliable and has got multiple game supports. PS3 flashing red light issue has been reported by many users and they are trying to find a way out of this issue.
According to many of the gamers and the ones who are well aware of the issue, suggests four major reasons for this to occur are:
- Overheating issues
- Hard Drive issue
- Replace the Thermal Paste
- Troubleshooting Your hardware
Now when you know about the reasons for the issues to show up, let’s walk you through the solutions. We have also explained the procedure of solving the problem on your own. Do follow the same queue and try fixing the flashing red light in the same order as mentioned.
How to Fix PS3 Flashing Red Light Problem?
If you ever encounter the red light flashing on your PS3 console, and it isn’t powering ON do not worry as we will briefly guide you through the solutions. You just need to follow these steps to eliminate the problem in the same queue as mentioned below. The ways to solve the issue are:
1. Check if PS3 is Overheated
Have you have been playing on the console for long hours, and the console turned off? The console might have got overheated and it might fail to turn ON again. The console would show the green light and then immediately turn into red when turned ON.
In this case, let PS3 have some rest and stop playing games for few hours. After waiting for some time, turn it ON and check if the issue still exists.
The console might have got heated up due to improper ventilation and crossflow of air. Make sure that you take proper care of the ventilation of the heat produced inside your PS3. It is advised to place the console near a good source of fresh air and continuous flow of air.
You should also clean your console from time to time as the dust gets accumulated over the running fan. The blades get heavy as the dirt piles upon them and the performance of the fan gradually decreases. If the heat produced inside PS3 will not be able to escape out the console will end up getting too hot to function smoothly.
Here is a detailed step by step guide for you to help in doing a console clean-up:
- Make sure you disconnect all the PS3 power source cables.
- Hold the Power button for about 20 seconds. This will turn off your console completely.
- Remove the HDD cover on the left side with a star screwdriver and then take out the hard drive carefully. Place the hard drive on a clean surface.
- Open the top shell by taking out the panel. There are 9 screws in total that need to be taken out.
- Remove the shell by locating both locking tabs and then unclip them gently.
- Detach disc drive including any ribbons attached to it.
- Remove the power supply from the disk. It is a large silver or black box that is attached with plugs on both sides. Take out the plugs and keep them aside.
- Remove the wireless card that is secured with 4 screws. Take out the power/reset circuit board and then remove the motherboard.
- Remove the fan which is located on the back of the motherboard.
- Now, you need to carefully clean the console and these parts with compressed air. You can also use cleaning alcohol to clean them. After that, put them back one by one in the way you plugged them out.
- Then recheck if the blinking red light on PS3 disappears. If not, try other fixes as soon as possible.
2. Check for the Proper Functioning of Hard Drive
We know that the hard drive issue can also be the reason for the flashing red light. Hard drives installed in the consoles have a lifespan and eventually stops affecting after some time. You must perform regular checks in the interval of 4-6 months.
Once you start encountering the PS3 flashing red light issue it is time to perform a hard drive check. Remove the hard disk by following the steps mentioned above. Connect the hard drive to the system and then check if there is an issue with it.
3. Replace the Thermal Paste
Replacing or repairing the thermal paste has turned out to be an effective way to solve the flashing red light on the PS3 issue. Open the hard drive again by following the steps back in step 1. Check if the thermal paste has dried out.
Replace the thermal paste in the console with a high-quality paste that mainly consists of silver, copper, and gold. Make sure you use it in a proportionate quantity. If you pour more than needed, it will leak out from the sides. Also, clean the GPU and CPU gently with a cotton swab and cleaning alcohol.
4. Check for Any Hardware Issue
If you are still encountering a PS3 flashing red light issue, it’s time to have a look at your hardware. These problems might come up due to hardware issues. The hardware which is installed on your PS3 consoles like the fan, hard drive, or disc drive can easily go wrong.
The hard drive issue has been already discussed in the above steps. Check if the fan is working normally and isn’t producing any unwanted or loud noise. Also, place your hands near the vent and feel the air being thrown out. If you find anything faulty, replace the fan with a new one as early as possible.
To check the status of the disc drive, install and play a game that does not require a disk drive. Download any free game from the PS store and play the game for a while. If the console switches off, your disk drive is healthy.
Also Read: Best PS2 Emulators
You might encounter various problems on your Play Station 3 consoles. Here we have given you detailed information which will definitely solve your PS3 flashing red light issue. If you are facing any other issues on your PS3 console, do let us know in the comment section below. Also, don’t forget to share this page with your friends who are also facing the same issue.